Sunday, March 20, 2011

Do we really have an impact?

I have been shirking my blogging duties lately, partly because it becomes exactly that, a sense of duty. I have realized that I don't like to blog about timelines and day-by-day happenings. I'd rather be inspired by something, have an opinion, and write about it.

To wrap up the travel portion of this blog, I spent another couple days in Luang Prabang where we did some touristy things including visiting a beautiful waterfall, ate at some incredible restaurants, shopped at the night market, and (surprise) ate more food. We also watch the morning alms at 6am, as monks gather food from the locals along the main street. I opted to cut short my trip and fly home from Luang Prabang, but went out for a farewell morning ride with everyone. It was a rainy and very wet ride, and I turned around at about the 20km to ride back into town, as I still had to track down a bike box and disassemble my bike. The rest of the group had a very big day ahead of them, including 2000m climb and 70 km in the pouring rain. Sounds like fun. I've been informed that it has rained every day since I left...a sign if there ever was one. I definitely miss the carefree and zero-stress feel of Laos, and also 'team punishment'.

I'm back in Vancouver now, and officially declare that jet lag is the devil. I also have a renewed sense of gratitude for being born and living in such a great place. Lastly, I wonder how we are going to make a difference in the world, while large swaths of the population are concerned with other issues such as making a living, surviving, and getting by.

No comments:

Post a Comment