Tuesday, April 26, 2011

If you know me, and you don't vote, we're no longer friends

I'm only kidding of course. But really, please do vote. I'd like to think that there is no moment in history when voting has been more important than now, but truthfully democracy has been and will continue to be one of the most important fundamental human rights. People all over the world are still fighting for it today, and as Rick Mercer cleverly pointed out, Canadians should be doing 'what young people all over the world are dying to do....vote'. You can watch Rick's Rant to young people of Canada here. Funniest man alive.

I posted a blog back in January on democracy and engaging with your vote, and discussed the ease with which we can now cast our ballet. Transportation is accessible, advanced voting is accommodating, and there are more polling stations than Starbucks. I also joked that 100 years ago they had to travel by camel, and was recently informed by one of my colleagues that actually, Canada did at one point have camels. Not indigenous mind you, but still, camels in Canada!

I rode the elevator to my office this morning, and on the fancy screen in the elevator news feed it said, 'Voter turnout expected to continue to decline'. Please help prove them wrong. May 2nd, 2011. Vote.

Plug into this great organization who is helping to engage voters, particularly youth, across the country. http://leadnow.ca/

No comments:

Post a Comment