Thursday, October 1, 2009

Meatless

I read somewhere a while back that a meat eater riding a bicycle is more harmful to the environment than a vegetation driving a hummer. While I can't confirm the validity of that statistic, it does illustrate the significant impact of consuming meat products. The UN reports that 18% of global greenhouse gas emissions come from meat production, which is more than global transportation. I know. Crazy. To be a friend of the planet, eat less meat. Who knew.

So, um, starting now, I'm a vegetarian. Except on special occasions. Thanksgiving being one of them. I have been dreaming of (organic) turkey for weeks now; a big juicy warm bird, stuffed with stuffing and baked (organic) squash. Yum. That, and my mom would kill me for making family gatherings so damn difficult. Oh, and I have serious reservations about the taste of tofurkey.

For a fun little article, see here: http://www.dothegreenthing.com/actions/easy_on_the_meat/why

For a more serious article, see here: http://www.fao.org/ag/magazine/0612sp1.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment